This article may interest you, if when you start Windows Vista and you receive the following error message:
Activate Windows Now
Your activation period has expired and Windows is no longer working.
To use Windows you must activate this copy of Windows.
Additionally, you notice the taskbar does not appear and you have limited access to Windows Vista programs and features. This is so because Vista is running in Reduced Functionality Mode.
Users will experience this issue, if any of the following conditions is true:
– You did not activate Windows Vista within the 30-day activation period.
– Windows Vista detects that the hardware on your computer has changed significantly and that you did not reactivate Windows Vista within the 3-day grace period for re-activation.
– You are running a version of Windows Vista that was detected as non-genuine.
To resolve this issue,
– Your copy of Windows Vista must have Windows Genuine Advantage (Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is an anti-piracy system created by Microsoft that enforces online validation of the licensing of several recent Microsoft Windows operating systems when accessing several services, such as Windows Update, and downloading Windows components from the Microsoft Download Center). Click here to learn more on Geniune Windows.
– then try these methods as outlined in Microsoft KB925616 to troubleshoot the problem.
1. Enter your product key
2. Activate Windows Vista by using the automated telephone system
3. Contact Microsoft