If when you launch Outlook for Mac 2011 and you receive this error message: Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience., then this article may interest you.
To resolve this issue, Microsoft KB2405496 recommends, you try these troubleshooting steps in this order:
1. Quit all applications and close all windows
2. Move the Outlook Preferences to the desktop
3. Move the Microsoft User Data folder to the desktop
4. Use a different user account to test Outlook
5. Download and install the latest Office updates