Microsoft has released the System Center Updates Publisher 2011 and it’s now available for download at the Microsoft Download Centre.
System Center Updates Publisher is an application that can be used with System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to enable independent software vendors or line-of-business application developers and IT administrators to import software update catalogs, create and modify software update definitions, export update definitions to catalogs, and publish software updates information to a configured update server.
With Updates Publisher IT Administrators can:
– Import software update catalogs created by non-Microsoft organizations or from within administrators organization
– Create custom software update definitions for EXE, MSI and MSP based updates
– Export software update catalogs that can be imported by other Update Publisher consoles
– Manage (duplicate, delete, expire, publish) software update definitions
New features in System Center Updates Publisher 2011 includes;
– An improved user interface that allows better control of managing software updates.
– A new automatic publication type with which Updates Publisher 2011 can query Configuration Manager to determine whether the selected software update or software update bundle is published with full content or only metadata.
– A new Software Update Cleanup Wizard that you can use to expire software updates that exist on the update server, but are not in the Updates Publisher 2011 repository.
– The ability to create Software Update bundles
– The ability to define prerequisite updates and superseded updates as part of a software update definition
By using Updates Publisher to define software updates and publish them to the update server, administrators can begin detecting and deploying published software updates with System Center Configuration Manager to client and server computers in their organization.