Microsoft has released and made available for download the Windows Phone Mango Developer Tools. This beta release of the developer tools packs the 7.1 versioning, and it’s subject to change.
Developers can use this beta release to get ready for the upcoming Windows Phone OS release.
The new application platform capabilities coming in Mango includes:
– Background processing
– New profiler and emulator for testing
– Use of Silverlight + XNA together
– Silverlight 4
– IE9 web browser control
– Live Tile enhancements: use of back of tiles and ability to update Live Tiles locally
– Deep linking into apps from notifications and Live Tiles
– Additional sensors; direct camera access, compass & gyro
– Fast application switching
– Networking / sockets for communications
– Local SQL database for structured storage
– Access to calendar and contacts for apps
Mango will offer a new web version of Windows Phone Marketplace. This will enable customers to shop, share and buy/download apps and games from any PC and send them directly to their phones. You get more visibility for your apps with no extra work.
According to Matt Bencke of the Windows Team;
With Mango we are not only improving the way we merchandise your apps within our Marketplace, we are also exposing your apps as a part of our customers’ everyday experiences. You want more ways for consumers to find your apps; and consumers have been raving about the Windows Phone design. In short, we are listening and investing accordingly. You should expect us to continue to deliver technology and services unlike anyone else.